Four men were arrested for a Jan. 27 stunt where up to 250 motorcyclists shut down part of the eastbound 10 Freeway in West Covina so one of them could propose to his girlfriend, officials said Monday.
According to California Highway Patrol Sgt. Kurt Stormes, the CHP served arrest warrants Thursday morning on three residences. A fourth man turned himself in later that morning at the Baldwin Park CHP office.
Hector Martinez, 24, of Covina, Mike John David Gutierrez, 38, of Lynwood, Giovanni Mendez, 19, of La Puente and Rudy Cadena, 24, of Long Beach were booked at the sheriff’s Industry station on suspicion of misdemeanor public nuisance and participation in an unlawful assembly. Martinez, who made the proposal, was also booked on suspicion of exhibition of speed. Booking records show Martinez, Mendez and Cadena were released Thursday.
Martinez couldn’t be reached for comment Monday night.
The proposal which halted traffic took place on the eastbound 10, west of Barranca Avenue at 1:25 p.m. Jan. 27.
Stormes said approximately 200 to 250 motorcyclists stopped simultaneously, blocking all lanes.
After his girlfriend got off his motorcycle, Martinez then allegedly “performed a burn out for several seconds “, the sergeant said.
“Several of the riders also dismounted their bikes. Mr. Martinez then proposed to his passenger. Several of the motorcyclists on scene applauded, videotaped and photographed the incident.”
Afterward, he said the group got off at Barranca Avenue and attended a motorcycle event at the Hooters restaurant on South Garvey Avenue. He said the four men were identified during the investigation.
Martinez had been named by media earlier.
Authorities have taken a dim view of people pulling stunts on the freeway.
(San Gabriel Valley Tribune)